At Slippery Slope Roofing, while we offer the best in roof repair, you can count on us to provide you with an accurate an honest assessment of your Barrie, Ontario home’s shingle roof so you’ll know if it is time to skip roof repair and go right to replacing it. By giving you roof repair costs and replacement costs, along with other pertinent information, you will be able to make an informed decision that best fits your long-term objectives. Here are some potential signs that you should skip shingle roof repair and replace it instead.
1. Bald Spots- When shingles reach the end of their life, they lose the ability to keep the granules in place. If you notice bald spots where there aren’t any granules or find your gutters filling up with them, you should consider having the roof replaced.
2. Curled Edges- Another sign that shingles are past their prime is when the edges begin to curl or the tabs cup upward. Once this happens, it won’t take much of a storm to start blowing the shingles off your roof resulting in water damage.
3. Cracks- In addition to curling at the edges, old shingles can begin to have cracks in them, which can allow water to seep through.
4. Roof Replacements in Neighbourhood- It is likely that all the homes in your neighbourhood were built around the same time. If you notice your neighbours getting new roofs, you can bet that yours is about the same age and has experienced the same weather conditions.
5. Multiple Leaks- Having one or two leaks in your roof may be feasible to stick with just roof repair, but if you have several leaks, the cost to repair may be more than you should invest in an aging roof. If there are areas that are sagging, even if you don’t see leaking into the attic, this should be resolved, as it is likely there are leaks you don’t see.