Perhaps you’ve noticed your neighbours getting work done on their roofs, and you’re wondering if your home is ready for a shingle roof replacement. There are a few signs you can look for that are good indicators of if your shingles are worn out and need to be replaced. Keep in mind that your roof doesn’t necessarily have to suffer damage from a storm to warrant replacement. Over time, your shingles will get worn down from exposure to the elements and will need to be replaced just because their life cycle is up. Typically, shingles on your roof last about 20 years before they need to be replaced.
Here are some signs that that your shingles are worn out and you might need a shingle roof replacement:
- Shingles with edges that are curled or cupped or just generally misshapen
- Bald spots on your shingles where the granules have fallen off.
- Gutters that are full of shingle granules
- Shingles that are cracked or just looking old and worn in general
- Dark streaks caused from algae growing on your roof. Algae can be cleaned off the roof, but you have to take care not to scrape of the protective granules, and if you are frequently cleaning algae, it will shorten the life of your singles.
- Moss growth. Moss can hold in moisture on your roof and cause damage.
If you are thinking it might be time for your shingle roof replacement, be sure to call us at Slippery Slope Roofing. We can inspect your roof and recommend any work that needs to be done.