As long as Mother Nature behaves herself, your home’s roof should provide many years of trouble-free service. Unfortunately, there are a few mistakes you can make that could mean costly roof repair expenses. By the time you finish reading this, you’ll know the most important mistakes to avoid if you want to avoid roof repair.
- Not Trimming Trees – When trees are close to your home, they should be kept in good health. Storms can rip diseased limbs down and right on your roof. Be sure to remove any debris from your roof after a storm as well. Speaking of storms, always have an inspection done after a severe one to be sure there hasn’t been any roof damage that should be repaired promptly to avoid larger roof repair costs later.
- Not Cleaning the Eavestroughs Often Enough– Some of the worst roof repair situations come from not cleaning out the gutters. When the eavestroughs become clogged, rainwater can get up under the roofing shingles.
- Adding Items to the Roof Improperly – Putting things on your roof, such as solar panels and satellite dishes, have benefits, of course, but if it isn’t done properly, small leaks can quickly begin to surface. Let a professional handle these installations and let them know you want them to preserve the integrity of the roof. It is also wise to have a roof repair professional come in after to inspect and make any corrections needed.
- Walking on the Roof – You should only be on your roof when absolutely necessary. Each step taken undermines the roof by disturbing the granules of the shingles.
- Using a Pressure Washer – NO, your roof does not need to be cleaned in this manner! It may seem like a good idea, but it will erode your shingles, shortening their lifespan at best and damaging them at worst.
- Being a DIYer – Trying to be a DIYer in terms of roofing is often a bad idea. Unless you know exactly what you are doing, you could easily do more harm than good.
When you need a roofing professional to take care of a roof repair, inspection or another issue, give us a call at Slippery Slope Roofing. With the various dangers involved with attempting roof repair on your own, the wisest course of action is to take advantage of our competitive rates and 50 years of combined experience.